The Automotive Hall of Fame
The 1939 New York World’s Fair was the first exposition to be based on the future. General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler all gave visitors a glimpse of new technologies from “the world of tomorrow.”
At this same time, a group of men met in New York City just a few miles from the World’s Fair to create an organization that would offer a glimpse…of the past.
Its mission was to perpetuate the memories of the early automotive pioneers. Called the “Automobile Old Timers,” the group was dedicated to honoring automotive people from all parts of the worldwide automotive industry.
The organization moved to Washington, DC in 1960. Then in 1971, it moved to the grounds of Northwood Institute (now called Northwood University) in Midland, Michigan. The first permanent Automotive Hall of Fame building was built on the Northwood campus in 1975.
It soon became evident that the home of the Automotive Hall of Fame needed to be closer to Detroit. In 1997, another group of dedicated automotive aficionados moved the Automotive Hall of Fame to its present location in Dearborn, Michigan.
Funds were raised to construct a 25,000-square-foot building and create new exhibits. A black-tie grand opening celebration was held on August 16, 1997, televised by the Auto Channel.
Today, the Automotive Hall of Fame attracts visitors from around the world. It is located next door to The Henry Ford in Dearborn, Michigan. It is also within the MotorCities National Heritage Area, an affiliate of the National Park Service dedicated to preserving and promoting the automotive and labor heritage of Michigan.
National Heritage Areas are places where natural, cultural, historic and scenic resources combine to form a cohesive, nationally important landscape.
Automotive Hall of Fame Admission:
Automotive Hall of Fame Hours:
Thursdays – Sundays, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Image via https://www.facebook.com/pg/automotivehalloffame/
Sign up for updates
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Situated on the beautiful 90-acre campus of the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan, about midway between Detroit and Chicago. As one of the Gilmore partner museums, they join the Gilmore collections, the Classic Car Club of America Museum, the...
America's Packard Museum was founded in 1992 by Dayton attorney and long-time car collector Bob Signom. Located in an original Packard dealership building constructed in 1917, the museum has officially taken the name of the original dealership - The Citizens...
Eugene Dahl Car Museum - Bonanzaville USA. is just one building of the Pioneer Village. The Museum houses numerous collections of vehicles, tools, parts, and information designed to tell stories of how cars and trucks not only served their original owners but...